Melissa Field is located opposite the entrance to Folly Fields, along the Lower Luton Road towards Harpenden. It is marked by a pub-style sign that originally marked the Rose and Crown pub located on the other side of the road (now a private house). The 2.5 acre (1 ha) Field was donated to the Parish Council for “exercise and recreation” by Harold Fitch Kemp in 1932 in memory of his daughter.
In 2011 the Parish Council reviewed all of the
for ecological wonderful willow trees on the riverbank and volunteers have planted many new trees and shrubs on the western boundary. The area has for wildlife play areas
You can find parking at the top of Folly Fields and it is just a short walk (200 yards) back down the hill to the Field. The playing field at the top of Folly Fields is ideal for those wishing to play ball games but Melissa is ideal for those wishing to relax in a more ecologically rich environment where we are encouraging wild flowers, butterflies, bats, birds and small mammals.