Coronavirus – Local services and information
Click on the headings below to see the latest information and links. We will endeavour to update this page as often as possible.
Your local GP surgery, The Village Surgery, continues to adapt to changing circumstances – advice is regularly updated on their website, including up to date information regarding the vaccine being rolled out locally. Click here to access their website.
St Albans Minor Injuries Unit is temporarily closed. See here for a statement by West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust.
Visit Gov.uk for up to date guidance and information regarding social distancing.
Visit the NHS website for advice regarding symptoms, self-isolation and people at higher risk.
- Local organisations have come together to create a support network for residents of Wheathampstead. The support offered includes grocery shopping, collection of medication, financial help, transport to medical appointments or just someone to talk to. To access help, please contact 01582 380910, Monday to Friday 9am-6pm. The voicemail will also be monitored during the weekends for anything considered urgent. You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you wish to become a volunteer, please email email@example.com with your contact details, plus any additional information that you feel might be relevant
Non-emergency police – 101
NHS Direct – 111
Domestic Violence Abuse Line Hertfordshire – 0808 808 8088
National Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 2000 247
Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board – 0300 123 4042
Hertfordshire Safeguarding Children Partnership – 0300 123 4043
NSPCC – 0808 800 500
Samaritans – 116 123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you having trouble getting deliveries? Have you or someone in your house been told to stay home for twelve weeks?
Please read this document for more information (updated April 2020)
- Office and Memorial Hall closure: The office at The Memorial Hall will be closed until further notice, however our staff will continue to work where possible. If you wish to contact us, you can do so by phoning 01582 832541 between 9.30am and 12.30pm, Monday to Friday. You can also email us at email@example.com.
- Play areas/sports facilities closed: Public facilities will stay open if safe to do so. This includes the artificial turf pitch, tennis courts and play area at Marford Play Fields, as well as other play areas throughout the village. Government guidelines will be followed at all times. This is necessary to ensure social distancing, limit the spread of Coronavirus and protect the health and safety of our communities. Please follow this link to view the Gov website for up to date rules regarding the use of sports facilities.
- Allotments: Access to the allotments is still permitted, however an updated policy is in place which can be found here.
- Libraries: All Hertfordshire library buildings are now closed until further notice. Click here for FAQs regarding issues such as items on loan, access to online services and how the library service will be managing overdue charges.
- Schools: All schools are closed except for children of key workers and vulnerable children. Contact your school for the latest closure information. You can find more information about this, plus details of how you can apply for free school meals and in year admissions.
- Benefits: Click here for information from the Money Advice Unit.
- Click here for up to date information on schools, plus:
▪ Childcare and family centres
▪ Recycling centres (tips)
▪ Adult social care and day services
▪ Register offices
▪ Health and wellbeing services
▪ Highways and bus travel
▪ Fire and Rescue
▪ Trading Standards and Hertfordshire Growth Hub
The Civic Centre is closed until further notice, however staff are working remotely where possible. Visit their website for more information, plus a host of online services.
St Albans Healthy Hub: Click here for various services across St Albans, plus health and wellbeing advice and tips.
Recycling/waste collection: Recycling, waste collection and street cleaning services in St Albans District are currently operating as normal. Residents are urged to continue using recycling and waste collection services as usual.
In order to prevent further spread of Covid-19, households that are self-isolating must ensure:
▪ Personal waste such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths are securely disposed in rubbish bags, and not in paper or card recycling.
▪ Any bags containing personal waste should be double bagged, tied securely and kept separate from other waste.
▪ Bags containing personal waste are to be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in the usual external general waste bin.
Face to face services are not available until further notice, however you can still contact the CAB for advice in a variety of ways – see their website for more information.
The foodbank is operating as normal, with an appropriate queuing system in place. Your local service is at Hilldyke Community Centre on a Thursday, 12.30pm to 2.30pm.
If you are self-isolating and need help collecting a food parcel, please contact the Support for All number – 01582 380910.
If you would like to donate food, you can leave items in the porch at St Helen’s Church.
Please click here for a list of services available to those living in Wheathampstead.
If you know of any services that are not already on the list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In response to Covid -19 the Government have announced that businesses with a Rateable Value (RV) of less than £15,000 and who receive small business rate relief or who are in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector will be entitled to a non-repayable grant of £10,000.
Business with an RV of between £15,000 and £51,000 in the retail, hospitality or leisure sector will be entitled to a grant of £25,000. These grants will be paid by Local Authorities.
It is not necessary to apply for these grants. However, in order to make payments St Albans District Council may need further information from eligible businesses.
To obtain these details, SADC have now set up an online portal for businesses to use.
To submit your details you will need your business rate account number. If you do not have this to hand but pay your business rates by direct debit, this reference number will be available from your bank statements. If you are still unable to obtain this, please ring the Business Rate Section on 01727 819270.
Further details about this scheme are available from here.
St Albans Council is committed to getting these payments to businesses as soon as possible.